Wednesday 6 February 2013

Francis had babies!

What's more insane than making a little clay clay dragon that was fiddly as all hell? Making even smaller clay dragons of course! These were a pain but also pretty fun. These photos aren't the best but give an idea at least of what I was going for.

This is Jake, a gambling/luck dragon I guess, I played around with giving him really long ears and spots/patches over spikes on his back. His tummy and spots are the same green clay as Francis' body. I painted on his eyes with acrylic paint as while Francis' eyes are adorable as small glass beads I didn't want to wrestle seed beads onto the little one's head and have them potentially look too big. Next time I may try making clay eyes and adding a bit of paint to those after baking to add depth. Jake is just over 4cm tall and 5 1/2 cm from nose to tail.
 
 Justin takes after dad and is an alchemy dragon, though is far more tricky to photograph well! He's black and glittery so pretty to look at but getting the camera to pick up details was a pain. I was going to add spikes to his back but I got to this point and liked how sleek he is. Whatever he's brewing in that tiny vial looks pretty evil too, which wasn't intentional but makes me smile now. He sort of reminds me of a Night fury. Justin is a little over 3cm tall and just shy of 4cm long.

And the baby of the family, Belle. I made her first out of the three and had intended to make them all the same size but as the evening wore on they got bigger, likely due to it getting darker outside and doing 'fiddly' getting harder. Unlike her brothers she has little horns and as making spikes for her back would have driven me nuts I went with a ridge down her back. She's holding a tiny silver bell that actually jingles a little which makes me smile more than it should. She also took the longest to sculpt as she was so tricky to get things in the right places on. Overall she's about 3cm both tall and long.


And, of course, obligatory family photo!


No comments:

Post a Comment